This 3-page PDF file contains a two page student workbook and grading rubric. Students are assigned an adaptation and must research an animal that has this adaptation. Students describe how the adaptation helps the animal survive in its environment. Then, they create a graphic by illustrating the animal and using captions to highlight the adaptation.
There are a number of ways this activity can be completed.
1. Divide students into partners/groups and provide each group with an adaptation. Instruct students to use the internet (search independently or start off on BBC’s Nature Wildlife page
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/adaptations) to record information and examples for each adaptation. Students can present the adaptations assigned to them to the class.
2. Assign each student one adaptation. Instruct the student to complete the worksheet for their adaptation. Then, have students present the information they find.
This activity is designed to address NGSS standards:
· an organism’s growth is affected by environmental factors (LS1.B)
· animals engage in behaviors, like being part of a group, that increase the odds of survival and reproduction (LS1.B & LS1.D)
· animals use their perceptions and memories to guide their actions (LS1.D)
To print multiple boxes per page, open the file using Adobe Acrobat Reader and choose the option "multiple pages" on the print screen.
For a precursor activity, check out the Animal Adaptations Web Quest, available at: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Animal-Adaptations-Web-Quest-1716939