Hi! My name is Kate Bailey, and my store is called "Get EnglishEd." (Get it? :)) The following project is one that I made and used in the beginning of this year (2014). I was inspired by the "Ice-Bucket Challenge." Since my students were obsessed with this fad, I decided to facilitate a project in which they were able to start their own initiative!
The Raise Awareness Project (RAP) is a large group project which allows students to make real-world connections to reading and writing. This project allows students to master the following objectives:
1) Students will conduct valid research on a topic of choice.
2) Students will write a research essay on a topic of choice.
3) Students will write a persuasive letter for their topic.
4) Students will increase their speaking/listening skills as they present their topic.
5) Students will effectively use 21st century skills to raise awareness on a current problem in society.
6) Students will revise and write over an extended period of time.
7) Students will work on teams to learn effective collaboration.
This project can last as long as you need it to! It took my kids about 6 weeks, but I think that next year I will extend it to a 9 week unit. I recommend giving that extra amount of time to make sure that the students are really nailing research and writing. You could also include some informational texts to show examples of research essays and persuasive letters.
This product includes the following:
1) Raise Awareness Assignment Sheet
2) Student Accountability Log
3) Letter to Parents
4) Pre-Interview Questions
5) Post-Interview Questions
6) Research Poster Presentation Description and Scoring Guide
7) Research Essay Rubric
8) Persuasive Letter Description and Scoring Guide
9) The Challenge Description and Parent Sign-off