Eight projects that cover many outcomes for grades 6-8 Canadian Social Studies. These are fantastic projects to encourage project-based learning in a Social Studies class.
- Canadian Timelines Project Outline/Graphic Organizer (Optional PowerPoint)
- Canadian Provinces Project (Digital Scrapbook Style)
- Canadian Multicultural Holidays (Advanced version of Christmas Around the World)
- Industries and Economics of Atlantic Canada (Could be modified to include other regions of Canada)
- Canadian Provincial and Territorial Symbols internet search project
- Making use of Timelines Scavenger Hunt activity (uses QR application/iPad)
- Canadian Weather Patterns/Hurricane Project (Powerpoint)
These are all very useful, and often open-ended research projects that students need little direction for completing. Great activities for starting or finishing a school year or semester. Most projects take a minimum of 3-5 classes to complete. Some of the projects include their own 4 point rubric that can be used for generating a grade. I have used these projects with my own students (grades 6-8) from year to year and am consistently impressed with their creativity and interest.