History of Protests in Sports in relation to the Star Spangled Banner/ American “Values
Are these Protests Protected Under the First Amendment?
Or Are these Athletes Anti-American and need to be Reprimanded?
Throughout history there have been many forms of protests and many cases involving expressive conduct, and what is for many a deeply cherished symbol of America- the US flag, and or the National Anthem.
Protests against the flag and during the playing of the US national anthem have had many causes, including civil rights, anti-conscription and anti-war, anti-nationalism, and religious reservations.
Throughout history, and more recently in the 21st century many athletes are involving themselves in protests, which has led to many questions arising in the United States.
Questions such as:
1. Does politics belong in sports? And do athletes have a responsibility to the American People?
2. Is protesting the National Anthem or the flag Anti-American? Or is it protected within the First Amendment?
3. Is the backlash these athletes have faced warranted?
Directions: Read Documents and answer the essential questions above. Be prepared to debate
Protests in Sports
For the past several days we have been looking at the History of protests in relation to sports. For this, we will have several assignments you must complete and finish in order to get two test grade assignments. Use this as a check sheet in order to complete the assignments.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS IN ORDER!
1. History of Protests in Sports in Relation to the Star Spangled Banner and the First Amendment Graphic Organizer
2. Read the DBQ: Since Kaepernick’s Kneeling: In Response
a. FOR Each document state whether or not you agree and why
3. Read the Laws
a. Highlight/ underline/ outline which issues have been arising/ are present with this issue
b. Read Texas Vs. Johnson and Complete the Questions
o Write a short reaction to the articles “Is the Star Spangle Banner’ Racist?
o Write a Short Reaction In Defense of the National Anthem and Francis Scott Key
1. Your reactions should justify your opinion
4. Read “Donald Trump: Does he have the right?
a. Write a one paragraph reaction on whether you agree or disagree and why
5. Watch the film and complete the movie guide : CNN Patriotism, Players, The President
6. Highlight your Stance on the Article “Refusing to Stand for the National Anthem
7. Write a response to the 3 DBQ Questions (3 Paragraphs). (Citing information from your findings (remember ICED)
a. Does politics belong in sports? And do athletes have a responsibility to the American People?
b. Is Protesting the National Anthem or the flag Anti-American? Or it is Protected within the First Amendment?
c. Is the backlash these athletes received warranted?
8. Be Prepared to debate and/or create a solution to the problem