This Common Core aligned lesson is designed to build on knowledge that students should already have about pronouns. The lesson can be taught by you or a substitute in one to two class periods, but I planned it to be taught as mini-lessons every day for a week. This allows students to absorb the concept and use it in several ways over a longer time period. In this way, the knowledge should stay with them. I intended these activities to be used first thing in class every day as a bell-ringer activity.
I think having all the little pieces in place such as knowing what is an inappropriate shift in a pronoun’s number and person is essential to strong, unambiguous writing. So, no matter what the age of your students, they can benefit from this lesson.
This lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• Handout and worksheet, “Pronouns and Number, Part 1” with KEY
• Handout and worksheet, “Pronouns and Number, Part 2” with KEY
• Activity, “What Are Pronouns and Number” with KEY
• Worksheet “Correcting Inappropriate Shifts in Pronoun Number and Person” with KEY
• “Quiz over Inappropriate Shifts in Pronoun Number and Person” with KEY
This week of bell ringer lessons works well with another week of bell ringer lessons I wrote called, “Pronouns and Their Antecedents.” Find it in my store. Enjoy!
This lesson is also in a Bundle. Find it in my store under Trimester One.
L.6.1c. Recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in pronoun number and person.