This mini-unit guides students as they study advertisements for propaganda uses, following Kelly Gallagher's real-world writing curriculum. This task follows his "Evaluate & Judge" guidelines but I've added an entrance slip, assignment details, and detailed notes to create a no-prep writing assignment. It also includes a powerpoint template for student distribution. This exercise is excellent for fostering critical thinking and causing students to assess the advertising strategies that surround them daily. Each file in this resource is available in both PDF and Microsoft Office (Word & PowerPoint) form.
The unit includes the following tasks:
- Students will learn 15 different propaganda techniques and take notes on their definitions and examples
- Students will identify these techniques in 13 different advertisements (both commercials and print ads)
- In class or for homework, students will find print advertisements that employ different propaganda techniques and use a graphic organizer to explain how it is shown.
- For homework, students must prepare a powerpoint explaining how propaganda techniques are used in a particular commercial
- Students will present these powerpoints using proper speech and presentation techniques, and will evaluate and judge the commercial's strategies and effects on the public.
These lessons are customizable and can be scaled down for use in middle school, or used as-is in a high school classroom.
***Please note: This resource is not designed for use in AP English Lit classes.
Check out some of my bestsellers!