This lesson has two options for use, where the same information is presented, but students can obtain that information in 2 different ways, depending on time, materials, and your preference.
Option 1: Properties of Minerals Investigation (Station Activity)
Students go to 11 different stations, where they write down the description of each property and in some stations they draw a picture/diagram of the property, answer questions, and/or perform a task.
Option 2: Properties of Minerals Power Point Presentation
This is a perfect option for teachers who are pressed for time or have students who are better behaved in their seats. Students fill out a note sheet while viewing the Power Point Presentation. They copy down the description of each property in the appropriate boxes, draw/diagram where instructed, and answer the questions as they appear in their notes.
Purpose: To introduce the properties of minerals used for mineral identification. I use this lesson as a prelab activity to my Mineral Identification Lab. It allows students to become more familiar with the terms and tasks before they enter the lab.
*Please see preview for a list of required materials and optional materials for each activity.
Lesson includes the following:
1. Zip file contains all directions and materials listed in a Power Point Presentation and in pdf files.
2. Teacher Directions & Materials list
3. 2 different bell ringer options
4. Properties of Minerals Investigation Station Directions & Property Description Pages
5. Closure question
6. Properties of Minerals as a Power Point Presentation
7. Answer Key
8. Properties of Minerals Student Note Sheet (2 pages) (for Power Point Option)
9. Properties of Minerals Investigation Activity Student Handout (2 pages) (for Station Activity Option)
Please Note that even though there are 60 slides, the slides are broken down as follows:
Slides 1-7: Teacher Directions & Materials list
Slides 8-9: Bell Ringer (2 choices)
Slides 10-38: Station Pages for Station Activity
Slide 39: Closure Question
Slides 40-57: Power Point Presentation Option
Slide 58: Closure Question (repeat slide of slide #39)
Slides 59-60: Answer Key
Properties of Minerals Investigation
by ACQUIRE Lesson Plans
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License