This fun-filled lesson encourages students to explore the properties of minerals. Students will explore the property of luster in this 5E lesson plan. This lesson compares quartz and pyrite. Students will see right away that the pyrite is shiny where the quartz is dull. Students will then classify minerals using the property of luster (metallic vs non-metallic).
• Minerals Sampling Photograph
• Photograph: Quartz vs Pyrite
• Property Detective Recording Sheet
• Metallic vs Non-Metallic Poster
• Metallic or Non-Metallic Recording Sheet
• Metallic vs Non-Metallic Flip Book (for INB)
• Luster Tree Map (8.5 x 11 and INB size)
• Luster Reading Passage and Comprehension Questions
For this lesson, you will need pyrite, quartz, and an ice cube tray filled with mineral samples.
© McDavids Classroom Adventures