A twist on the traditional "matching" assessment, this quiz assesses students' understanding of basic number properties, while adding the kinesthetic fun of scissors, glue sticks, and sorting!
First, students work together to match specific problems to their corresponding property names. To add higher level thinking, students then create an additional (written) example of each property.
Properties assessed include:
(1) Multiplication Property of Zero
(2) Identity Property of Multiplication
(3) Associative Property of Multiplication
(4) Commutative Property of Addition
(5) Inverse Property of Multiplication
(6) Distributive Property
(7) Associative Property of Addition
(8) Multiplication Property of -1
(9) Symmetric Property
(10) Inverse Property of Addition
(11) Commutative Property of Multiplication
(12) Identity Property of Addition
(13) Transitive Property
(14) Substitution Property
Beware! "False Properties" are also included in the mix, and students must critically analyze the mathematics to identify and exclude "bogus properties." Students LOVE throwing these in the trash... er... recycling bin! ;-)
I've used Cut-and-Paste quizzes with students many times, and this unique hands-on approach encourages cooperation and communication.