Purpose: The overarching goal of this lesson is to teach students about the different properties of real numbers. This also teaches students about variables. This fits into the ‘bigger picture’ because it will help all students to understand how to solve equations using variables.
Objectives: As a result of this lesson, SWBAT:
• Identify the associative, commutative, identity, and distributive properties.
• Solve expressions by using the properties correctly.
• Simplify algebraic expressions for given variable values.
• Simplify variable expressions by combining like terms.
• Solve equations for the given variables.