This EDITABLE stations lab asks students to explore basic properties of water – a substance they use every day, but actually know little about! I use this after introducing the properties of water, as a good hands-on and visual support for some of these obscure concepts. It includes: eight hands-on stations with directions and questions, student answer sheet for easy response recording and grading, and teacher-setup and troubleshooting notes.
• Station 1: Universal Solvent
• Station 2: High heat of vaporization
• Station 3: High energy storage
• Station 4: Density of ice
• Station 5: Cohesion
• Station 6: Adhesion
• Station 7: Capillary Action
• Station 8: Amount of available freshwater
I have uploaded this in a .docx format, so you can feel free to modify and differentiate to fit your classroom and students’ needs. Enjoy!
NGSS HS-ESS2-5 Plan and conduct an investigation of the properties of water and its effects on Earth materials and surface processes.