This complete unit teaches students the structures of prose, drama, and poetry then asks them to discriminate between the types of literature. You’ll have everything you need for direct instruction, guided practice, independent practice, and assessment.
• Lesson plans
• PowerPoint presentation for direct instruction
• One-page quick reference guide with samples of each type of literature
• One-page quick reference guide with prose, drama, and poetry terms
• One-page list of additional poetry terms
• Five stories, each based on classic children’s literature*, that include prose, drama, and poetry (Students must identify each type of literature and explain structures in the right-hand column.)
Click on the PREVIEW button above to take a peek at the product.
1. Direct Instruction of Prose, Drama, and Poetry – An interactive PowerPoint presentation presents structures of each type of literature. Prose, drama, and poetry related to “Mary Had a Little Lamb” are used as examples.**
2. Guided Practice – Teacher and students collaborate to identify types of literature and their structures using “Mother Goose’s Party.”
3. Independent Practice – Students discriminate between the three types of literature and explain structures using “Robin Hood,” “Little Red Riding Hood Meets the Wolf,” and “Hansel and Gretel.”
4. Assessment – Students identify types of literature and explain structures for “Goldilocks, or the Three Bears.”
Note: In addition to lesson plans and an assessment, this product also includes RL.4.5 Prose, Drama, and Poetry Power Point
and RL.4.5 Prose, Drama, and Poetry Practice Pack
More Literature Units!
This unit is now available as part of Literature Bundle - Grade 4
! You can purchase eight complete standards-based units (including lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, practice, and assessments) plus three comprehensive assessments for a discounted price - - - or pick and choose from the list below:
• RL.4.1 Answering Questions Lesson Plans
• RL.4.2 Finding a Theme Lesson Plans
• Summarizing Unit, Grades 4 & 5
• RL.4.3 Describing a Character Lesson Plans
• RL.4.4 Words from Mythology Lesson Plans
• RL.4.5 Prose, Drama, and Poetry Lesson Plans
• RL.4.6 Determining and Defending Point of View Lesson Plans
• RL.4.9 Comparing and Contrasting Folklore
• Literature Assessments - Grade 4
And look what’s new: lessons for teaching about reading informational texts! These two units are available now, and more will be following soon.
• Identifying Text Structure
• Finding Word Meaning
Click on Follow Me to be notified as other units are published.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Common Core State Standard Reading: Literature 3.5 and 4.5 (CCSS RL.3.5, RL.4.5)
*Stories were adapted from Dramatic Reader for Lower Grades by Florence Holbrook, which is now in the public domain.
**Illustrations and some text were taken from Mary’s Little Lamb by Edith Francis Foster, which is now in the public domain.