Protein Synthesis Scavenger Hunt Activity
In this activity, students will use their knowledge of protein synthesis and a special genetic code to transcribe and translate various DNA clues hidden around the room. The special genetic code will translate the mRNA into sentences, rather than amino acids, which will tell students where the next clue is hidden in the classroom. All clues are written to work in a general science classroom, and an editable template is included so you can change and add clues to make them more specific to your room. This is such a fun way to practice protein synthesis with students!
How can I use this?
- Practice for mastery of transcription and translation
- Fun review day activity
What is included?
- 2 pages of teacher implementation notes (PDF)
- 8 DNA clues to hide around your classroom (PDF)
- 2 page student handout for showing work (PDF)
- Special genetic code (PDF)
- Answer Key (PDF)
- Editable template for customizing the clues (.pptx)
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes about 1 hour. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Heredity Review Game!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
What if I am looking for other heredity items?
Check out all of my favorites below:
- Dinosaur Genetics Stations Activity
- Blood Type Pedigree Mystery Activity
- Protein Synthesis Digital Breakout Escape Room
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Genetics Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking HERE!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name, join my email newsletter, or follow me on Instagram. These are the three best ways to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.