Students use decoder keys to uncover the "Words of Wisdom" in common proverbs (e.g. "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."), then engage more deeply with the meaning of the metaphors using the included "thinking sheets," or group discussion prompts.
Use to support understanding of figurative language and metaphors; the content can also tie nicely with SEL / social and emotional learning topics in the middle grades, or as practice asking students to take a stand and justify or refute a position (see included thinking prompts).
The download includes instructor notes, thinking sheet template, discussion prompts, full- and half-page decoder templates, and five illustrated proverb puzzlers:
- "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
- "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
- "All that glitters is not gold."
- "Castles were built a stone at a time."
- "A leopard cannot change its spots."