Use this guide to help your students plan, write, and deliver strong speeches and to become effective speakers and communicators through this easy to follow Common Core Standards based lesson and activity guide. This worksheet guides students through the process of preparing and organizing a public speaking presentation. This lesson is easily adaptable for planning and writing essays. It also includes scaffolds and graphic organizers which are effective for English learners.
Your students will be able to:
- Write the purpose of the speech/presentation
- Consider and describe the target audience
- Write a detailed objective for the speech
- Consider and list the media and resources for the speech/presentation
- Outline an effective opening, the major points, and a strong conclusion for the speech/presentation
- Use academic language related to communication
This guide is also Available in MSWord format.
You may also want to use these activities as companions to this lesson:
- “Prepare and Organize an Effective Speech” (PowerPoint)
- “Strong Public Speaking: Opening and Concluding” (PowerPoint)
Key Common Core Standards
SL.4: Present information, findings, and supporting evidence clearly, concisely, and logically such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and task.
SL.5: Make strategic use of digital media in presentations to enhance understanding of findings, reasoning, and evidence and to add interest.
SL.6: Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.
Public Speaking: Speech Planning Guide
by Scott N. Forrest
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
ELD, English learner, education, middle school, high school, secondary, lesson plans, teacher, instructional tools, teaching strategies, curriculum, SDAIE, graphic organizer, teacher supplies, English language learning, second language, language arts, guided writing, public speaking, communications