NOTE: An eighteen-week (complete semester) outline for everything in this public speaking bundle is in the preview. Download to be sure this bundle will work for you! The material in this public speaking set will not work for every teacher.
Teaching a speech unit or public speaking course can be complex because so many aspects go into making a successful speech lesson. This file has a variety of tools to engage students as they grow as public speakers.
It contains every public speaking activity in my store, plus many more bundles. I also have a detailed (week by week) outline of how I run a public speaking class.
* Student goal setting cards.
* Student reflection sheet.
* Student “in the beginning” sheet - as your speech unit or class begins.
* Student “at the end” sheet - as your speech unit or class ends.
* “Quick Feedback” sheet for practicing speeches.
* A general presentation rubric and outline rubric - for any speech.
* A brainstorming sheet for new speech topics.
* A parent note in .doc format to provide ways to help their budding orators.
* Student note in .doc format, explaining their role as audience members.
* A final test in .doc format, editable for you!
* A “Common Comments” sheet that gives teachers go-to comments for when they are grading speeches.
* Six speech assignments: how-to food, how-to nonfood, my favorite person, informative/biographical, informative/topic, and prized possession speech. I have included samples of these six speeches for you to share with students.
* EIGHT activities that you can use at any time during your speech course.
* Activities, graphic organizers, Power Point presentations, and analysis of real-life presentations.
* Three engaging activities for extra practice!
Because I could not find modern and age-appropriate activities/ handouts for older students, I made my own. I call these "Discussion Starters" because these help me discuss with my students what I expect from them with their speeches.
* "Discussion Starters" - a series of worksheets, discussion prompts, and activities that address common concerns public speaking students face.
~ "When does my speech begin?"
~ "How do I research my speech?"
~ "Where do I stand during my speech?"
~ "Using a visual aid"
~ "Citing sources"
~ "Outlining your speech"
~ "Diving deeper with your topic"
~ "Adding emphasis in your speech"
~ "Elevating your rhetoric"
This bundle is divided by week - how I teach these speech components. I also provide class time for practice, research, and writing. Feel free to move the activities to your own timeline!
Everything I used when I taught a public speaking course is included in this bundle; please read the above list of what this bundle contains to be sure it is right for you. I have provided a guideline for how I use the material, but you may want to switch around the activities.
I have coached a speech team for four years as well as taught a public speaking class for seven years. These are some of the public speaking lesson plans and materials I developed to engage students and provide them with meaningful feedback.
SOME of what is included in this bundle:
This public speaking bundle contains all of the above products plus the curriculum outline, discussion starters, goal setting sheets, and more. This is everything and more that I used for an 18-week public speaking course.
This bundle was last updated AUGUST 2020.