In this project students will write and create their own books! Using bare hardcover books (source link provided), students will even "publish" their writing and become real authors.
Some years I let students choose what type of writing they want to do, and other times I give all students the same text type, but let them choose their topic. This is a very flexible project that you can differentiate and customize for the needs of your class.
Included in this document are:
- Directions and suggested timeline to complete the project
- Sample book from 3rd grade
- Half-page form for students to brainstorm ideas
- Outline template for student questions to guide their research
- Outline template for students to organize their writing
- A booklet of text features (narrative and informational/opinion) found in books that will be the students' model of what they need to create. These text features are included:
*publishing and copyright info page
*table of contents
*about the author
- Grading Rubrics for each text type (narrative, informational, opinion)
Please note: the hardcover books are not required to complete this project, but they certainly increase student engagement and make a beautiful end of the year keepsake. Also, the text features in the booklet are not the features found within the content of the text (like graphs, headings, bold words, etc). This project assumes that students will have already learned and be familiar with those features.