In this unit, students will learn key Spanish vocabulary related to the culture of Puerto Rico, understand this commonwealth's unique relationship to the United States, and appreciate the history and natural beauty of the island.
This packet may be used with the Globe Trekker Puerto Rico video. However, only the video viewing notes require the video, and the other materials in the packet could easily be used without the video for teaching a unit on Puerto Rico. The unit can be used in a Spanish language classroom, but could also be used in for social studies or English as a Second Language. The difficulty of the Spanish-language activities is appropriate for students as early as Spanish 1, although it could easily be used in higher levels of Spanish, as well.
The packet includes suggestions as to which materials may best be used for pre-viewing, during viewing, and post-viewing. Additionally, each activity includes a convenient teacher's edition with answers included in bold, red text. These activities are "tried and true," as I have done each of them with my own Spanish 1 students with great success.
Below is a table of contents of the activities in this packet:
1. Spanish Vocab List
2. Spanish Vocab List - Answer Key
3. Video Viewing Notes (fill-in-the-blank)
4. Video Viewing Notes - Answer Key
5. Matching & English Vocabulary Practice Worksheet
6. Matching & English Vocabulary Practice Worksheet - Answer Key
7. Multiple Choice Comprehension Assessment
8. Multiple Choice Comprehension Assessment - Answer Key
9. Puerto Rican Anthem Worksheet (Supplemental bilingual activity)
10. Puerto Rican Anthem Worksheet - Answer Key
11. El Coquí Reading and Questions (Spanish-language reading for Spanish level 1 and above)
12. El Coquí Reading and Questions - Answer Key
13. Interdisciplinary Writing Prompt Suggestions