Ontario Curriculum Expectations: Grade 4 Science - Understanding Structures and Mechanisms
1. Evaluate the impact of pulleys and gears on society and the environment.
2. Investigate ways in which pulleys and gears modify the speed and direction of, and the
force exerted on, moving objects.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles and functions of pulley systems and gear systems.
1. What is a Pulley?
2. Types of Pulleys
3. How do Pulleys Work?
4. Benefits of Using Pulleys
5. Compound Pulleys (Block & Tackle)
6. What are Gears?
7. Types of Gears
8. How do Gears Work?
9. Benefits of Using Gears
10. Pulleys & Gears & Us - Daily Uses, and the effect on the Environment
What is in the unit?
In this unit you will find:
1. Information articles on the topics listed above.
2. Worksheets that review the information in the articles.
3. Glossary of terms
4. One project - Building an Elevator
- Model Building (Visual Arts)
- Presentation (Language Arts - Oral Communication)
5. Final Test
6. Answer Keys
7. Project Rubric
1. Worksheets can be used as ongoing homework checks or collected and used as formative assessments.
2. Project rubric
3. Final Test - Matching, True or False, Multiple Choice, and Short Answer
How to use the unit
The unit is meant to be used as a student handout with the articles, worksheets, project description, and rubric to be photocopied for each student. Read through the articles together as a class and have students answer the corresponding worksheet questions. (Each article and worksheet questions should take around one 40 minute period). Take up the worksheet on the following day before starting the next article.
The project is meant to be completed in class under the supervision of the teacher. Students can work independently or in groups/pairs.
The test is to be given as a final summative assessment for the unit to evaluate what students have learned overall.
Before buying this product, consider buying it as a bundle with other science units by following this link:
Grade 4 Science Units Bundled
Links to other related Units
Light & Sound
Rocks & Minerals
Habitats and Communities
Matter, Forces, Human Body, and Energy Conservation Bundle
Properties of and Changes in Matter
Conservation of Energy and Resources
Forces Acting on Structures and Mechanisms
Human Organ Systems
Biodiversity, Electricity, Space, and Flight Bundle
Electricity and Energy
Air and Flight