Thank you so much for taking the time to view my Pulley and Gears unit. These activities and written tasks are meant to supplement your already great Grade 4 Science program. Please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail with any questions regarding the use of these activities.
In this package please find the following:
-Cut and match word wall words to their definition (answers included)
-Pulleys and gears cootie catcher to kick off your unit (see what your students know)
-Pulleys and gears foldable booklet to showcase initial knowledge
-Pulleys and gears exit pass (what do you know so far)
- Cute "What is a pulley?" poster (completed and blank)
- Pulleys in our lives matching activity (match word to picture to purpose/how it works) can be done independently, in pairs or as a whole group
- Exit pass to determine what students have learned so far about pulleys
- Three different pulley system posters (fixed, moveable, combined). They are completed and blank for your use.
- What is a pulley? half booklet. Students use this multi page booklet to showcase their knowledge of pulleys. There are fill in the blank pages, written response questions, application to everyday life problems, diagrams to be labelled and much more!
- Design a pulley craftivity in the shape of a treehouse. How can you get food from the bottom of your treehouse to the top? Create a pulley system and showcase it in this adorable fashion!
- A series of pulley written responses to apply knowledge of pulleys to everyday life scenarios, settings, and objects
- What is a gear poster (completed and blank)
- Three piece gears in our lives matching activity (match word to picture to purpose/how it works)
- Exit pass to determine what students have learned so far about gears
- Facts about Gears peek-a-boo foldable (the properties of gears). This cute foldable has students identifying the properties of gears and how they work using a super cute foldable.
- What is a gear? half booklet. Use this half booklet for students to showcase what they know about gears. There are fill in the blank questions written response opportunities, diagrams, and questions the relate gears to everyday life scenarios
- Fun bike craftivity asking students to explain how the pulley system and gears on a bike work. This craftivity includes a one page summary sheet of the history of bikes and how they operate today.
-A series of gear written responses to apply knowledge of gears to everyday life scenarios, settings, and objects
Pulleys and Gears
-Pulleys and gears in everyday life question cards. Use these question cards to mingle to music, as a walk the room task, or in whole group discussions to gather student ideas on the effects of pulleys and gears in our lives
- A series of pulley and gear response sheets for students to assess these machines in daily life
- Students will identify the difference between Input and output pulley and gear components with this cute snip and paste activity
- Find 18 walk the room questions including recording sheet with answers for students to show off all they know about pulleys and gears
- Sell a pulley and gear system by creating an advertisement or poster. Included is a planning sheet, checklist for students, and a variety of other templates to choose from for students to show off their work.
- All of the word wall words and definitions that students will need to understand this unit
- All word wall words are also available on strips to be used as an easy addition to your word wall bulletin boards