This packet addresses parts of speech as determined by the function of the word in a sentence presented in an informational context about the pumpkin life cycle.
The material in this packet can be used for center work, independent work, small group work, differentiated instruction, and parent/child work.
1. Clip Cards/SCOOT: There are 20 sentence cards with pumpkin information. Students are asked to identify the part of speech of one word on each card as noun, verb, or neither. Two options for completion are included: clip cards or SCOOT.
2. ABC Order – students alphabetize 20 words (to the 4th letter) from the sentence cards
3. Parts of Speech Sentences – Students choose a word from the “patch” and write 2 sentences using the word as 2 different parts of speech. An alternate activity for the Parts of Speech Sentences:
Suggested directions and components for a Pumpkin Patch Interactive Bulletin Board are provided.
4. Writing Prompt (persuasive/opinion) – Writing paper included.
5. Students apply the information from the sentences to complete a pumpkin life cycle cut and paste sheet.
As an additional challenge, students may be asked to arrange the 20 sentences into a sequential order.
Pumpkin Patch Parts of Speech
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License