THE PERFECT HALLOWEEN LESSON FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL!
The 6th grade Florida state standards states that students should understand the ratio of Pi. This Pumpkin Themed Math Lab allows students to create and test their own hypothesis on the ratio of Pi. The lesson starts with a bell work vocabulary review. Then students review a Florida Standards Assessment (FSA) question and create a hypothesis about the ratio of Pi. In small groups, students will measure the dimensions of a pumpkin and explore different mathematical ratios. Students will come to a conclusion about the ratio of pi based on their calculated ratios. The math investigation takes about 45 minutes, perfect for one class period. The integration of Bell work, Vocabulary Review, Hand-on small group work, and Conclusion make this a perfect lesson for an OBSERVATION!!
What is included:
1. Pumpkin Pi Lab Template- One-page, ready-to-print student template
2. Teacher instructions for implementation
3. Answer Key
What you need:
1. One or more PUMPKINS (You could also have students bring in their Jack-O-Lanterns for this investigation! Or you could buy several pumpkins—one for each small group)
2. Five tape measures--One for each group (Like this one: https://amzn.to/2ZkBZdI)
3. Five calculators- One for each group (Like this one: https://amzn.to/2nmQs7J)
Please come back and leave a review to earn credit toward future purchases!