Kindergarten Darlings has created a unit on pumpkins and Halloween with both math and literacy activities.
This unit contains lots of great literacy activities that the students can do independently. The activities are printable and ready to use without lots of prep time. Students will learn to read, identify sight words, identify beginning sounds and much more. Kids will love to write about their favorite seasonal things. They will be excited about reading the poems, chart stories and seasonal books in this unit.All are appropriate to use in your Readers Workshop time. This unit contains a colored big book about pumpkin growth. There is a black and white copy for the students to use in their Reading Bags or to take home and share with parents.
The math activities in this unit cover many skills: measurement counting sets, making sets, number order, sorting, graphing and comparing. There are many great math center activities that can be used year after year. Many of the activities can be used in October and November. In addition, the activities are great for independent work time and support Math Investigations.
Your kids will love this unit and will be excited about learning.
1. Beginning Sounds: Halloween pictures
2. Poem: Halloween Night
3. Poem: The Haunted House (3 versions)
4. Sort, Count, Graph and Order: Halloween Pictures
5. Skeleton Story: girl and boy skeletons, 2 levels (The… and He/She has…)
6. Build a Sentence: Pumpkin – (Do you have a pumpkin?), build sentence, write sentence and draw a picture
7. Build a Sentence: Halloween – (Look, it is Halloween night.)
8. Story: It is Halloween—simple sentence structure (Look at me! I can be a…), match pictures to sentence using beginning sounds, pictures and words for pocket chart provided
9. Pumpkin Patch counting activity- building sets
10. Candy Corn Number Sequence 1-10- printable
11. Candy Corn Count booklet and picture cards- counting sets and recording on ten frames
12. How Many…? Halloween pictures – counting sets
13. Ghost number cards for math center activities
14. Haunted Houses 1-10 and Ghost pictures for math center activity
15. Diem Bones- counting tally marks printable
16. Simple Sentence Match
17. Halloween Writing with seasonal word chart
18. Pumpkin art, label and writing
19. Measuring: Shorter vs. Taller, Halloween picture cards, measuring stick and recording sheet
20. Pumpkin Growth sequence- printable
21. How Do Pumpkins Grow? Book – student copy blackline and big book version color