Academic vocabulary is an umbrella term for the language that students use to participate effectively in a classroom environment. In English language arts, academic vocabulary includes, for example, words that refer to story elements (plot, theme), literary techniques (metaphor) and devices (flashback), author’s craft (repetition, voice), text construction (organization), and authorship (position, purpose, credibility). Games like Puzzle Piece Pairing, an interactive matching game, help teachers assess students’ understanding and plan remediation/instruction.
Provided in this set are puzzle pieces for:
* applying fiction terms to a story, “Mercury and the Woodman”
* identifying synonyms for fiction terms
* identifying synonyms for informational terms
* recognizing the definition of literary terms
* recognizing the definitions of genres/subgenres
* applying argument terms to examples (pressuring children in sports)
Picture: simple prep, an interactive review, lively discussions, kids out of their seats, simple directions, fun for every student regardless of ability, and a template to create your own review. Play again and again!