One-of-a-kind pencil puzzles for bright kids: Incredible craftsmanship and extraordinary variety, all with 100% kid-friendly vocabulary in both the clues and the answer words.
Accessible by a wide range of ages, these puzzles provide just the right level of difficulty: Not too easy, not too hard. At the same time, each puzzle presents its own unique challenge -- solvers will need to flex their minds in different ways to reach the solution.
The puzzles in each collection are completely different, though you will see the same variants from time to time.
Ten puzzles in this collection:
- Flower Power: This flower is abloom with words! Every petal gets a letter, forming a dozen words curving one way and a dozen curving the other way.
- Packing Crates: The words are really packed together in this interesting crossword variant.
- Hexed: Each of the 25 six-letter answers in this puzzle circles around its clue number. Get one answer, and you'll have a handhold on several others. An intricate construction.
- Labyrinth: Follow the twisty path of words until you escape the maze! Use the row answers to make sure you don't get lost.
- One, Two, Three: A perfectly ordinary crossword puzzle, except that each square will get one, two, or even three letters. Figuring out how many letters go into each blank is part of the challenge.
- Crossfire: Figuring out the answers is only the first part of the puzzle. Can you then figure out the rule that ties the answers together?
- Around the Bend: You'll start writing each answer left to right... but then every answer goes around the bend, finishing up backwards! The backward part of each answer then becomes the forward part of the next answer. A fun wordplay experience.
- Knockouts: A little word math for you. Add two words together, then knock out two of the letters to get yet another word. The letters you knock out will complete a secret message...
- Zebra Crossing: Use the three rows in this puzzle to help you figure out the answers that go into each of the slanting stripes.
- Trail Mix: Strap on your hiking boots! You'll need to blaze thirteen trails through this crossword variant.
Eric Berlin is the founder of Puzzle Your Kids. Eric is a frequent contributor to the New York Times crossword puzzle, and is the premier creator of word puzzles and pencil puzzles for ages 9 and up. He is the author of "The Puzzling World of Winston Breen" and its sequels, and has puzzled tens of thousands of children around the country in person with his school visits.