This set of task cards covers the last four skills of The Number System Grade 6 Common Core.
• Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
The set includes 18 task cards, directions, answer documents, and an answer key for your reference. Students work the problem and write the answer on their answer document, then scan the QR code on the task card to check their answer. Not only will the link show them the correct answer but also a visual that explains the answer for those who did not get it correct. The link is a direct link to a shared file in Dropbox, so should not be blocked by any internet filters.
These task cards are great for a learning station while students are working in small groups or as an early finisher activity. They will work well with iPads and iPad Minis, but also with iPod Touches or similar devices.
Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
5. Understand that positive and negative numbers are used together to describe quantities having opposite directions or values (e.g., temperature above/below zero, elevation above/below sea level, credits/debits, positive/negative electric charge); use positive and negative numbers to represent quantities in real-world contexts, explaining the meaning of 0 in each situation.
6. Understand a rational number as a point on the number line. Extend number line diagrams and coordinate axes familiar from previous grades to represent points on the line and in the plane with negative number coordinates.
7. Understand ordering and absolute value of rational numbers.
8. Solve real-world and mathematical problems by graphing points in all four quadrants of the coordinate plane. Include use of coordinates and absolute value to find distances between points with the same first coordinate or the same second coordinate.