This activity allows students to practice the different characteristics of quadratic graphs. Students will be assessing their knowledge of the vertex, intercepts, discriminant, and factors for quadratic functions.
Scrabbled Quad Squares – 2 pages
Student Answer sheet - 2 pages
Solutions – 2 pages
1. Copy a class set of the Scrabbled Quad Squares.
2. Each student will need a pair of scissors and a glue stick.
3. Instruct the students to cut out each triangle piece.
4. Then the students must match the four pieces that correctly describe the same quadratic function.
5. Suggest that students be sure of their match before gluing.
6. When the students are sure of their match, glue the four pieces together on the answer sheet. (If copy paper is a concern at your school, you may choose to give out construction paper for the students to use for gluing their final answers. Students can also glue to a sheet of notebook paper.)
You may choose to collect this activity as a classwork grade or as a quiz. Students can also put these in their notebooks as that day's notes. An answer key is included for easy grading! The solutions show the correct matching for all of the Quad Squares.
This activity can still be completed with using just 1 page of the Quad Squares. Depending on how much class time you have allotted, each page of the activity has the matching pieces for the students to complete correctly.
*I have also used this activity in my IB Math Studies class.
Note: This activity is included in my Quadratic Unit – Bundle of Resources
. Check it out if you are interested in purchasing this resource, along with others, at a discounted rate!
For additional quadratic resources, check out:
Color by Factor – Factoring Practice
Discovering Quadratic Functions
Factoring and Solving Quadratics – Sudoku Puzzle
Graphs of Quadratic Functions – Snowflake Cut-Out Activity
Quad Squares – Matching Characteristics of a Quadratic Graph
Quadratics Café: A Review of Quadratic Functions
Review of Factoring – Hidden Picture #1
Review of Factoring – Hidden Picture #2
Review of Factoring – Hidden Picture #3
Review of Quadratics – Easter Coloring Activity
Factoring Polynomials (Quad, Cubic, Quartic) – Hidden Picture