Working with quadratic functions is fun and engaging in this real-life farming project. Based on REAL market prices and agriculture challenges, students will work to make their farm profitable. This project is immersed in quadratic applications.
(1) Use the quadratic equation to find the area of rented farmland
(2) Look for quadratic regression to find the ideal planting density
(3) Develop a projectile motion function to find herbicide spray time
(4) Convert between units (feet - yards - acres)
(5) Calculate yield/acre and overall profit based on market prices
This one-two day project is a great finale for a quadratic unit. Students will enjoy the challenge to get their farm off the ground and be required to use critical thinking to make their final analysis.
The project guides students through the process. However, an editable file is included; consider differentiating for advanced students by eliminating some of the guiding questions.
An answer key and directions are included.
Thanks for your review and feedback!