Your 5th graders will learn to classify quadrilaterals with these 8 polished, no-prep activities aligned to the Common Core. Sorting polygons by properties will engage your students in higher-order thinking. Watch their geometry skills blossom as they place 2d figures into categories and subcategories. Students will learn to identify the following attributes: parallel, perpendicular, regular, congruent, concave, convex, symmetry, acute angles, right angles, obtuse angles, and vertices. Geometric shapes include square, rectangle, rhombus, parallelogram, trapezoid, and quadrilateral.
• Cut out and sort quadrilaterals by property
• Define each type of quadrilateral by analyzing examples
• Check off properties of each type of quadrilateral
• Draw shapes on flashcards
• List all names for each figure pictured
• Cut out and place quadrilaterals on a Venn diagram
• Label types of quadrilaterals on a Venn diagram
• Draw an animal and identify its geometric properties
Answer keys are included.
Aligned to 5th Grade Common Core Standards
• 5.G.B.3 - Understand that attributes belonging to a category of two-dimensional
figures also belong to all subcategories of that category. For example, all rectangles
have four right angles and squares are rectangles, so all squares have four right angles.
• 5.G.B.4 - Classify two-dimensional figures in a hierarchy based on properties.
Download an item with a whopping 12 activities on classifying triangles and quadrilaterals, available ★ here
★. It includes all of the materials listed above.