"A Warrior Princess" is a nonfiction text and lesson plan about Queen Njinga of the Mbundu people. She was born in West Central African in the 1580's. She fought against the Portuguese to gain control of her kingdom, which is present day Angola. Students will enjoy learning about the true story of a female warrior and and woman who showed intelligence, courage, and perseverance. (Text included)
Included in the package:
- Prezi- A presentation tool that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan and Text in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Text Features
C. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- 4 activities to extend the lesson
A. Country Research Report
B. Create a Cookie Map of Angola
C. Role Play Events in the Life of Queen Njinga- Elements of Drama
D. Listening to African Music- Answering Questions
- 1 Graphic Organizer (Text Feature Analysis)
- 3 Handouts (Text Features, Elements of Drama, Message in the Music Questions)
- Assessment and Answer key included.
Go to Laura Randazzo’s TpT store and download her FREE step by step guide to open a Prezi
Also try the Women's History Unit: African Princesses