Why is the Seafloor Spreading?
This question exploration explores the process that occurs at mid-ocean ridges, where new oceanic crust is formed through volcanic activity and then gradually moves away from the ridge, and helps explain continental drift in the theory of plate tectonics.
Question Exploration Routine is an instructional methods that teachers can use to help a diverse student population understand a body of content information by carefully answering a critical question to arrive at a main idea answer. Students taught using the question exploration routine earned higher total test scores than did students taught using the lecture-discussion method. This product includes the completed question exploration guide, and the student guide blanked except for vocabulary, scaffolding questions, and graphics already filled in.
Personally, I use the Question Exploration Routine to figure out what I want to say and how I want to say it. I keeps my "Sage on the Stage" time limited to what fits onto 2-3 pages. This product includes the completed question exploration guide, and the student guide blanked except for vocabulary, scaffolding questions, and graphics already filled in. It is in Microsoft Word .doc form so that Ts can customize the discussion to fit the needs of their Ss.
These Content Enhancement Routines are classroom tested to help students with the following Florida Next Generation Sunshine State Standards in Science. SWBAT:
• SC.7.E.6.4 Explain how evidence supports scientific theories that Earth has evolved over time.
• SC.7.E.6.5 I can explore the theory of plate tectonics by describing how the movement causes slow and rapid changes
• SC.912.E.6.3 Analyze the scientific theory of plate tectonics and identify related major processes and features as a result of moving plates.
• SC.912.E.6.4 Analyze how specific geologic processes and features are expressed in Florida and elsewhere.
• SC.912.E.6.5 Describe the geologic development of the present day oceans and identify commonly found features.
• Question Exploration: Where are Major Volcanic and Earthquake Zones?
• Question Exploration: Why is the Seafloor Spreading?
• Concept Compare: Concept Comparison: Earthquake Moment Magnitude Scales (Mercalli, Richter)
• Question Exploration: Does Stress and Strain Effect Elasticity of Earth's Crust?
• Question Exploration: How does plate movement create folds, fractures and faults?
• Logic LineUp Earthquake Faults (Normal, Reverse, Strike-slip) and Plateau
• Question Exploration: What Evidence Supports Continental Drift?