So your students are reading on their own. How are you tapping into their thought process? Do you have a way to understand how they are relating to and processing the text? That's the purpose of these discussion question stems: They give you insight as to how your students are progressing with choice reading novels.
These 40 discussion question stems will pair with any fictional text.
Use them as during reading activities or as a guide for post reading discussions. These discussion question stems can be used as simple task cards, can be printed on card stock or attached to cardstock to expand their lifetime, or attached to craft sticks.
Do you ask your students to read outside of class? Do you have them read over the summer to hit the ground running in the fall? Do your students read independently during class time? Do you run a book club, literature circles, or independent novel study program? Do you ask students to give short book commercials after independent reading time? These are all perfect occasions to use discussion question stems.
See how much of the novel your students have read, how deeply they are interacting with it, and how interested they are in the book. Join their conversations with thoughts about your own reading, and model the importance of reading and discussing what is read for your teens.
Loving these? You might be interested in this similar bookish teaching resource: Discussion Task Cards for Fiction and Nonfiction Choice Reading Activities
You may also be interested in these related resources:
- a reading interest inventory
- a why reading matters presentation
- 20 independent reading journal prompts
- 120 discussion task cards for fiction and nonfiction
- 11 reading comprehension bookmarks
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.