Quadrilaterals are fun and quirky. They all have four sides and are part of the polygon family. During this activity, students will explore these four-sided figures while using sets of straws of different lengths and yarn. Students will come to realize that some quadrilaterals match several definitions. This is a great launch activity for your study on quadrilaterals.
• Plastic drinking straws (not the flexible straws)
• Yarn or string
• Plastic baggie (to hold supplies) – optional
• Definition cards without pictures-1 set per group (pages 4 and 5)
• Posters with pictures and definitions (pages 6-11)
• Quadrilateral sheet – page 12 and 13 (1 per student)
Common Core Standard - 3.G.A.1