Quotation Marks for direct speech (dialogue) worksheets.
This pack includes ten worksheets to reinforce the Common Core Standard for using quotation marks and commas with direct speech (dialogue) in writing. While this is a third grade standard, these activities are fitting for grades one and up. Perfect for homework, extra practice, and modeling on the Smartboard, these are user friendly for as young as first grade and will provide a variety of practice activities for any student who needs practice with correctly using quotation marks and punctuation in their writing.
In the pack you will find:
* A pre-teaching and post-teaching activity page to assess your students understanding of quotation marks.
* 2 activity sheets with character speech bubbles (see thumbnail for one example) that students need to turn into sentences with mechanically correct dialogue.
* 2 activity sheets where students fill in character speech bubbles on their own and then turn the conversation into mechanically correct dialogue on the lines below.
* One True or False page - Students decide if each statement about quotation marks is accurate or not (see thumbnail example).
* One "Add the Quotation Marks" page - Students place quotation marks into sentences when they are missing.
* One "Add the Quotation Marks and Comma when needed" page - Students place quotation marks and commas when appropriate into sentences. This is one step trickier than the first "Add the Quotation Marks" page (see thumbnail example).
* One "Right or Wrong" page - students decide if the quotation marks have been used correctly in each sentence.
There are also answer keys included for all of the pages except the open ended ones.
Thank you for checking out my product!
If you like it you might want to check out my "I Can Use Commas" pack which provides practice with commas in list sentences and commas in the date (First Grade Common Core Standard).
Find it here: Comma Worksheet Pack
If you use the Fundations word study program you might also like my unit aligned packs for levels 1 and 2. Click here for an example:
Fundations Level 2 Unit 1
I plan to post future "I Can Use" packs on grammar topics such as apostrophe s and end punctuation in the future so please consider following my page.