This beginning r blends resource includes four hands-on activities to help your students practice spelling and building words with beginning r blends br, cr, gr, fr, tr, and dr. All the activities focus on CCVC and CCVCe words and work well as word work or center activities for first and second graders.
Word building activities focus on the following words:
br: brim, broke
cr: crab, crop, crib, crane
gr: grin, grape, grade, grip
fr: frog, frame
tr: trim, trace, trap, trip
dr: drop, drum, drip, drill
Here’s how to use them in your classroom:
R Blends Puzzles
- Students look at the picture and match the blend and word ending to build the word. Recording sheets and 20 puzzles are included. If you do not wish to use the recording sheet, you can make this activity self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card.
See, Build, Write Cut and Paste Printables
- Students cut and paste letters from the bottom of the page to build a word matching the picture shown and write the word. Each printable page contains four words to build and write. Three options are included. Just print and go!
R Blends Word Building Mats
- Students take a half-page card, look at the picture, and build the word. Sound boxes are provided. Magnet letters work well for this activity, but it can also be done as a write-and-wipe activity using dry erase markers on laminated cards. Recording sheets and 20 cards are included. Again, if you do not wish to use the recording sheet, you can make this activity self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card. You can also differentiate by removing or adding cards for different groups of students. I recommend going over the pictures as a whole group before doing this as an independent center activity.
Dripping Sink Making Words
- Students match each word-ending drop to different r blend sinks to make as many words as they can. A recording sheet is included. Many word-making options are possible and a possible answers sheet is included for teacher reference.
You may also be interested in my Let's Build with Ending N Blends
, Let's Build with S Blends
, and Let's Build with Beginning L Blends
All my Let’s Build with Blends resources can be purchased together at a discounted price in either my Blends Bundle
or Let's Build Bundle
The product was updated on July 18, 2016.
If you and your students enjoy this product, please consider following my store. Freebies and new products are posted regularly. You can contact me with any questions or requests at email@example.com.
- Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles