Do your students struggle with blending sounds, especially on words with bossy r? This fun phonics game is perfect for practicing decoding and rhyming skills with R Controlled vowels, specifically words with the OR sound. Bonus worksheets are also included.
Simply print one set of cards (or more) for a classroom center. Laminate and cut for durability. The images of chores helps anchor the sound OR makes for faster recall.
Other ideas for classroom use:
- Blend word cards (use as flashcards) or time students to see how quickly they can read them.
- Match sets of rhyming words and record (recording sheet included).
- Play “go fish” for rhyming words
- Put all cards face down in a pile. Partners will take turns reading the top card, go again, or lose a turn.
- Music activity- Pass out one card to each student. Switch cards to music. When the music stops, everyone must read their word (or find a rhyming partner).
This set includes:
- 48 game cards with OR words
- Teacher Directions
- 4 Bonus worksheets to help with decoding and rhyming skills (see PREVIEW for full examples)
- Answer Keys
K's Classroom Kreations
If you like this phonics center you may also like the Money Saving Bundle
which includes this set and 4 others:
Bossy R’s- AR Stars
Bossy R’s- IR Birds
Bossy R's: -ER Bakers
Bossy R's: -UR Turtles
For other K-2 Literacy ideas try:
Bossy R's: Highlight & Record
Writing Lists: Task Card Freebie
Elementary Sight Word Sandwich Center