Have your students practice distinguishing the different r-controlled vowel sounds with this pocket chart sort and printables.
This packet includes:
- 6 Pocket chart header cards and 34 picture cards (in color)
- 9 Printables
Pocket Chart Cards (in color)
- Use these cards to introduce r-controlled vowels or have your students sort them at pocket chart station.
- There are header cards for each r-controlled vowel. Also included is a header card with er, ir and ur together.
- ar: barn, jar, cart, card, harp, shark, farm
- or: north, cord, storm, fork, corn, torch, horse
- er: flower, spider, fern, baker, hammer, whisper, herd
- ir: circle, skirt, twirl, shirt, dirt, girl, bird
- ur: church, curl, turtle, surf, nurse, purse
- There are three different printables included (9 total) and answer keys.
*In order for the students to distinguish the sounds, there is a printable for ar & er, or & ir and ar, or & ur.
- Printable 1 - Students say the name of the picture, fill in the missing r-controlled vowel and rewrite the word.
- Printable 2 – Students look at the picture and read the sentence. Then, they decide what word would make sense, say the word slowly and write the word on the line.
- Worksheet 3 – Students read the sentence, fill in the missing r-controlled vowel and rewrite the sentence.
If you are looking for more phonics activities or resources, please check out these other products:
R-Controlled Vowels ~ I Have...Who Has?
Blends and Digraphs Sort
Short Vowel Activities and Printables CVC Games
Short and Long Vowels Sort
Follow me for updates, sales and more products to come! Simply click on the green star next to my profile picture.
Email me at email@example.com
if you have any questions.