R-controlled vowels er, ir and ur are reinforced in this pack. Perfect for word work, it contains posters and worksheets to help your students master the er, ir and ur spelling pattern.
This product can be found in Phonics Bundle - posters and worksheets (US Spelling)
and Phonics Bundle - posters and worksheets (Australian Spelling)
Each R-controlled vowels (er, ir and ur) has:
- A poster with six illustrated examples of each word.
- A poster with a list of either er, ir or ur words.
- 1 title card and up to 11 illustrated words for a word wall.
- 2 recording sheets for use with the charts are also supplied.
worksheets are provided for each
individual vowel digraph sound covering a range of skills:
- Read and Draw - This worksheet requires students to read the sentence and draw the appropriate picture.
- Read and Highlight - Students roll the die, read one sentence and then use a highlighter to identify the R-controlled vowel in focus.
- Spell the Word - Students spell the word by coloring the letters it contains.
- Missing Letters - To complete this activity, students cut out the letter tiles and paste them beside each picture in order to make a word. The remaining letters will spell a word with the R-controlled vowel in focus.
- Find the Word - Students identify the word and then write it in the matching word box. (answer key provided)
- Spin a Picture – Students must spin a picture and then find the word on the sheet and color it.
worksheets that focus on all three R-controlled vowels are also provided:
- Picture Sort - Students say each picture, determine which R-controlled vowel it has and then write it in the appropriate place.
- Word Sort - Students sort the R-controlled vowels into the appropriate column.
- Roll and Read - Students gain practice with reading lists of words containing the each R-controlled vowel.
- ‘er’, ‘ir’ or ‘ur’ words - To consolidate their knowledge of the r controlled
vowel, students say each picture and then determine whether it has an ‘er’,
‘ir’ or ‘ur’, circle it the correct color and then write it in the appropriate
- Three in a Row - In this game for one or two players, students must identify must identify which words are spelled with an er, ir or ur. A recording sheet is also provided.
- Spin and Write - This advanced word work activity focuses on spelling. In order to complete the spelling of a word, students spin R-controlled vowel and write it on the word wall in the correct place.
British English spelling is also included.
You might also be interested in:
AI and AY vowel digraphs- posters and worksheets
EE and EA vowel digraphs- posters and worksheets
OA and OW vowel digraphs- posters and worksheets
OI and OY diphthongs- posters and worksheets
OW and OU diphthongs- posters and worksheets
OO vowel digraphs- posters and worksheets
IE and IGH - posters and worksheet
Magic e - posters and worksheet
Become a follower and take advantage of my Early Bird Specials, freebies and product launches.
All new products are half price for the first 24 hours of listing. Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.