This R screener is designed for SLPs, parents, and/or teachers. It includes several facilitating contexts and suggests an organizational framework for R assessment and remediation, i.e. six separate categories of R production.
1) Incorporate this screener into your battery of articulation & phonology tests, especially when R production is suspect.
2) Craft goals and report progress based on the six R categories it covers.
3) Demonstrate organization and complexity of R to parents/teachers/admin.
4) Use the screener to get parent/teacher input.
1) Use the screener to organize and develop your own understanding of R.
2) If your child can produce ANY of these contexts, there is hope for producing ALL of them.**
3) Consult with a speech-language pathologist to better understand appropriate expectations for your child.
**In some cases, the social/academic/personal penalties involved in the remediation of speech-sounds are greater than the benefits derived. Consult with a speech-language pathologist and other members of your team before making firm decisions.**