Also included in
- Everything you need for Reading Test Prep in Grades 4-5! This HUGE bundle includes 8 of my best resources for literacy test prep.Click on the links below to see the Math Test Prep Bundles:4th Grade Math Test Prep Bundle5th Grade Math Test Prep BundleThis bundle includes the following Reading Test Pr$35.00$52.50Save $17.50
This resource is a printable and digital practice booklet to allow your students to practice constructed response questions using the strategy you teach them (RACE, ACE, RADDS, or RACES).
I created this resource because my students needed more practice with the RACE strategy, the strategy for answering constructed response questions that my students use.
I wanted a resource that would specifically allow them to practice the strategy without being overwhelmed with complex or lengthy text. The texts included in this booklet are paragraph length and written at a 3rd-4th grade reading level.
Having my students complete this booklet gives them success with the RACE strategy that they can then apply to more complex text.
- a cover page
- a definition of the strategy page
- 20 practice texts and questions.
- digital versions for each strategy
Each text is specifically written with at least two pieces of evidence for the students to use to answer the questions. This will allow the students to successfully practice the strategy.
– fiction stories that are easier. These are ideal for introducing the strategy
– nonfiction texts that may be a bit more challenging for your students. Ideal for use after the first ten have been used or even to save for right before state testing as a way to review.
Since not all teachers use RACE, I have also included versions for ACE, two versions of RACES, and a version for RADDS. Each version has the same texts and questions; only the reference to the strategy is changed.
An answer key is included. The answers in the answer key are written using the RACE strategy format. They can be used to have the students assess their own work or used as mentor answers.
This resource is also available for use with Google Slides.
You may assign several practice slides at a time or assign the entire book for student completion over time.
See page 2 for links to access the digital versions.
5th grade teachers, these are NOT 5th grade level stories. You may still use them to introduce the strategy, but please make sure you are aware of this before purchasing.
More Reading Activities and Resources