Guide students through a fun and engaging lesson about ramps using the 5E Learning Cycle! This activity would be an ideal, low-prep introduction to simple machines.
This activity guides students through each step of the 5E Learning Cycle.
- Engage: Students will watch a video clip of the X Games Mega Ramp competition and record initial thoughts and predictions about how ramps work.
- Explore: Students will use teacher-selected materials (textbooks, folders, etc.) to engineer three ramps. They will record the distance that a ball rolls down the ramp when the ramp sits at three different angles.
- Explain: Students will explain their observations in their own words. Then, they'll watch a short video clip that explains ramps, slopes, and simple machines in simple terms. They will then practice using these new terms in a fill-in-the-blank activity.
- Elaborate: Students will complete a top hat graphic organizer about slope on the Mega Ramp versus slope on their own ramps.
- Evaluate: Students will explain what they learned and refine their thoughts about how slope can affect the way objects move up and down ramps.
Added bonuses (the educational equivalent of snagging a wedding dress with pockets):
- Two-sided Worksheet: No stapling or collating required!
- Measurement Practice: Students will need to measure the distance a ball travels and the angle of their ramps
- S.T.E.A.M.: Students will engineer their own ramps to explore the effect of varying slopes