READ ALOUD LESSON PLANS Set Three YEAR LONG BUNDLE
Products in this Bundle (11)
showing 1-5 of 11 products
SUPER CHARGE your read aloud lesson plans with these print and teach activities!
These interactive reading lesson plans will guide you through your daily instruction in reading comprehension, responding to literature, sentence studies with mentor sentences, crafts and more!
These No Prep Print and Go Lesson Plans will save your teaching life! SERIOUSLY!!!
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THESE READ ALOUD LESSONS AND ACTIVITIES
- These book lessons are so easy to use. Our scripted lessons take the guesswork out of your interactive read alouds planning!
- Reading Comprehension skills are taught spirally all year. This research-based approach helps make practice permanent and ensures students will revisit various reading comprehension skills in REAL WORLD literature.
- Tier 2 Vocabulary is introduced and studied each week with lessons that stick!
- Sentence and grammar study is incorporated into each read aloud.
- A variety of comprehension assessments that include scoring rubrics, multiple choice, and true/false tests.
- Common Core State Standards and TEKS standards aligned for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
HOW DO THE ENGAGING READERS READ ALOUD LESSONS WORK?
The teacher does the reading work while the students do the thinking work. These lessons are grounded in research. It is said that the person doing the most talking is the person who is doing the most learning. SO these lessons scaffold instruction to get students talking. Side-by-side, students learn comprehension strategies such as Predicting, Visualizing, Retelling, Text Details, Connecting, Inferring, Character Analysis, Opinion Writing and so much more. You won’t believe how quickly students fall in love with your read-aloud time.
Brain research reveals that reading comprehension starts with listening comprehension. Since kindergarten, first grade students, and second grade students have listening skills that far surpass their ability to decode words, it is imperative that they participate in daily deep conversations surrounding books that allow them to strengthen their thinking! Don’t wait! Start building pathways to deeper thinking today!
These units can be used on their own or as a supplement to your current reading curriculum. They are simply the easiest and most enjoyable way to drive up student engagement. Join the thousands of teachers who have transformed their ELA block.
EACH BOOK INCLUDES DAILY:
- 5 Day Interactive read aloud discussion lesson plans
- Reading comprehension strategies to help all students deepen their connections and engagement to books. A variety of response page options are available so you can select the one that works best for your students.
- Full color pictorial retelling cards that can be printed or used as a PowerPoint pictorial retelling file for your whiteboard. This sets students up for success! The pictures support students as they strengthen their oral language.
- Interactive writing to support your students where they are.
- Anchor chart ideas for comprehension strategies for each book
- Sentence study and activities for each day of the week.
- Grammar study for each day of the week NOTE: Set 3 has more advanced grammar lessons than set one and set two.
- Phonics for Kindergarten
- Phonics for first grade
- Phonics for 2nd grade (new update for 2022-2023 school year!) The phonics lessons will be added monthly and the year will be finished by March 2023.
- A craft for each book.
- Rubrics for each response activity
- True/False comprehension assessment
- Multiple choice comprehension assessment
- Common Core Standards and TEKS standards checklist
- Additionally, reading and phonics assessments have been added to ESGI which you can access for FREE with your ESGI subscription.
- You can get 2 months of ESGI for FREE by clicking https://www.esgisoftware.com/ and using code PD825.
THE BOOKS NEEDED FOR THESE UNITS ARE:
· The Man That Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein
· A Fine, Fine School by Sharon Creech
· The Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein
· The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
· The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
· After the Fall: How Humpty Got Back Up Again by Dan Santat
· The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig
· The Word Collector by Peter Reynolds
· Cinderella Skeleton by Robert San Souci and David Catrow
· How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin by Margaret McNamara
· The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson
· Spiders by Gail Gibbons
· Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
· Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett
· Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
· Owls by Gail Gibbons
· Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto
· The Story of Snow by Mark Cassino and Jon Nelson
· Catch that Cookie by Hallie Durand
· Welcome Comfort by Patricia Polacco
· Wordy Birdy by Tammi Sauer
· Nerdy Birdy Tweets by Aaron Reynolds
· Brave Irene by William Steig
· Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
· Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
· Wilma Unlimited by Kathleen Krull
· Dr De Soto by William Steig
· Abraham Lincoln the boy who loved books by Kay Winters
· My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza
· She Loved Baseball by Audrey Vernick
· Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
· Crazy Hair Day by Barney Saltzberg
· Crickwing by Janell Cannon
· Velma Gratch & the Way Cool Butterfly by Alan Madison
· Someday a Tree by Eve Bunting
· A Seed is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston
· Roger the Jolly Pirate by Brett Helquist
· Sharks by Ann Schreiber (National Geographic)
· The Dory by Jerry Pallota
· One Word from Sophia by Jim Averbeck
NOTE: This isn't a packet of worksheets. These Engaging Readers read aloud lessons and activities actually guide you through the process of using quality read-aloud books to teach the standards for reading comprehension.
This interactive read aloud unit will save you hours of work because EVERYTHING is all planned out with easy to follow lesson plans. Just add the book!
Just PRINT and TEACH! Each week focuses on one book and takes you through a variety of lessons to get your kids reading like never before.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Are these research based lessons?
A: Yes! We have extensively researched the best practices surrounding reading instruction. You will find the resources that guided our thinking in the preview.
Q: Will these work with my current reading program?
A: Absolutely! Use the components that work best for your students.
FEEDBACK FROM TEACHERS JUST LIKE YOU!
Stephanie C. says, "Love, love, love this resource! My district adopted curriculum that is VERY non fiction heavy. I felt like my kids were missing out on strong fictional children's stories as well as all the components that go along with fictional stories. Bought this to supplement and am totally in LOVE with it. Not only did I feel like I was teaching so many concepts with one story throughout the week, but an added bonus was that my students really enjoyed it as well. Whenever I asked students about one of their favorite activities from the year, this constantly came up."
Anne A. says, "I have used Set 1 of Engaging Readers with my class for years. I have seen writing improve, phonics improve and test scores higher than any of the other classes on my grade level. When I was moved states and grade levels this resource for nd grade specific is just what I need. I am enjoying the new books and higher levels of learning opportunities for 2nd graders. My class will continue to grow through these, thank you so much."
Gary M. says, " My sister used the other sets of these when she taught Kinder and 1st grade. As soon as this set came out she told me I had to get these for my 2nd grade classroom. I am so glad that she did. These units are amazing and engaging. The book selection is wonderful. I love that the grammar and vocabulary is all tied in."
Leslie M. says, "I love this resource! I'm in a learning center and the differentiated pieces that go with each story are perfect for my many grade levels."
Freida V. says, "I love the engaging way Deanna Jump addresses comprehension skills through trade books! I have used the Engaging Readers for kindergarten and second grade, and it is equally effective with both grades."
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THE SEESAW AND GOOGLE SLIDES VERSIONS OF THE READING COMPREHENSION?
We have converted the reading comprehension portion of many of the ENGAGING READERS books. These converted files are not included in this unit. If you would prefer, you are welcome to convert this file to a digital version. However, if you want it all done for you, you can find the listing of these resources by clicking HERE.
ADDITIONAL ENGAGING READERS BOOK TITLES CAN BE FOUND IN THESE BUNDLES:
RELATED LITERATURE BASED STEM AND CENTER ACTIVITIES CAN BE FOUND: