This lesson plan is for teaching reading comprehension to all students. The unit of study does the following:
1. Brings all students to the starting gate and aids in comprehension of a story.
2. Offsets the lack of prior knowledge on the concept of story
3. Aids in teaching diverse student populations to help all students process the information and skills needed to comprehend a story.
4. Teaches a meaningful representation of the core concept of story.
5. Results in a deepened understanding by all students—regardless of grade or language level.
After the initial instruction of this lesson the teacher should differentiate using various short stories that appeal to the level of the students in his/her class.