Read ‘n’ Respond (RnR) Non-Fiction (NF) booklets 1, 2, 3 and 4 have been pocket gems for me in a classroom setting. There are numerous reasons why:
1. By starting with A4 double sided sheets, with a bit of careful folding and cutting, four cute 8 page reading response booklets magically appear before your eyes. The (slightly larger than) palm sized booklets easily accompany the bookmarks inside the reading books being investigated.
2. Another beauty of these booklets is that they is generic in nature. Provided the student’s reading book is non-fiction, the student can use any one of these RnR booklets to reflect and delve deeper into his/her own chosen book. In reality, everybody in the class can have the same response booklet (1, 2, 3 or 4) but be generating different responses relevant to their own book choice.
3. Alternatively, each booklet can be used to respond to the group reading book or whole class book.
4. Due to their generic nature, each booklet reaches across various age/ grade levels.
5. The tendency for some students is to put a book away when finished and choose another book…forgetting the richness that was spilling out of the previous one. RnR Non-Fiction booklets 1, 2, 3 and 4 forces the student to stop and reflect further and deeper.
6. Intentionally, these booklets cover diverse NF elements such as diagrams, charts, glossary, index, ratings, graphs and facts.
7. These resource can very easily be utilized as assessment tools.
8. Adding these products to a student’s homework requirements is also a very valid approach.
9. RnR Non-Fiction Booklet 1, 2, 3 and 4 SAVES the teacher precious preparation TIME.
“THERE’S MORE IN STORE”
Read ‘n’ Respond: Fiction booklets 1, 2, 3 and 4 can also be purchased.