This set can be used to extend the student's ability to identify the Central Message (Theme).
In this set, the students are given a passage and asked to identify the theme (from a set of choices).
This packet includes:
- 1 PowerPoint slideshow (the PDF version)
- 1 set of Whole Group Passages that correspond with the PPT
- Three sets of worksheets (each set has three levels) that correspond with the PPT
- A cut and paste activity
- A short assessment (5 questions)
- A sample anchor chart
- A page with suggestions for use
I used 'central message' instead of 'theme' because 'central message' is the wording used in the Common Core state standard RL.1.2 for first grade.
This set is intended for students who already have a basic understanding of central message.
If you are looking for something more basic try this:
RL.1.2 - Central Message (Theme) Introduction
Please email me if you have any questions or concerns.