RNA, Transcription, Translation, and Protein Synthesis Unit Test
This is a test written for a typical Biology I class covering the topic of RNA, transcription, and translation. Please note that this test is on RNA, transcription and translation only. This test does not include DNA and replication. I have a separate listing for a test on DNA and replication. See the links below.
PLEASE NOTE: This PowerPoint is also included in a bundled unit plan containing 20 different products on DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis. You can view the bundled unit plan by clicking here: DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis Complete Unit Plan.
Covered on this test:
1. The genetic code: codons, amino acids, gene expression, codon triplets specify amino acids, protein building instructions.
2. The differences between DNA and RNA
3. The three type of RNA and the function of each type.
4. Transcription: definition, purpose, result, steps in transcription
5. RNA processing and editing: why RNA must be modified, introns, exons
6. The Genetic Code: codons, amino acids, gene expression, codon triplets specify amino acids, protein building instructions.
7. Start and stop codons
8. 64 possible codon combinations and the amino acids they code for
9. Translation: Definition, purpose of translation, steps in translation
10. The role of tRNA in translation
11. Codons and Anticodons
12. The importance of reading the codons in the correct order
13. Sample Problem: Given the sequence on the DNA molecule, students will give the mRNA codon sequence, the tRNA anticodon sequence, and the order of amino acids for coded for.
14. Structure of the ribosome: large and small subunits, mRNA binding site, three binding sites for tRNA
15. Mutations: Definition, gene mutations, chromosome mutations, point mutations, frameshift mutations, substitutions, deletions, insertions, the importance of mutations in natural selection.
Answer key is included. Also included is a chart of amino acids and the 64 codon combinations.
Related products include:
DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis: Complete Unit Plan of 20 products
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Powerpoint and Notes for Student and Teacher
Lab: Effect of Environment on Gene Expression
Lab: Chromosome Squashes
Worksheet and Study guide: DNA and RNA
Lab: Determining the Traits of a Mystery Organism Through Protein Synthesis
Biology Buzz Words: DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis
DNA Quiz / Review / Worksheet (Advanced)
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Crossword Puzzle
DNA Jeopardy Review Game
Test: DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Set of 4 Homework Assignments
Homework #1: The Basics of DNA
Homework #2: DNA Replication
Homework #3: RNA and Transcription
Homework #4: Protein Synthesis and Translation
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis - Set of 3 quizzes
Quiz #1: DNA and Replication
Quiz #2: RNA and Transcription
Quiz #3: Translation and Protein Synthesis
RNA and Transcription Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Translation and Protein Synthesis Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
DNA and RNA Powerpoint Jeopardy REview Games - Set of Three Games
Test: DNA and replication
FREE Chart of Amino Acids and Their Codons
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (Science Stuff)