Gary Paulsen's novel is especially good for reluctant readers. I've made this unit with those students in mind: Quick Quizzes, used like exit tickets, make the reading go faster. I have a dialog journal that does require students to read the single page thoughts of Atticus closely, and answer with written responses.
This would be an excellent read-aloud!
The unit contains -
- a Quick Quiz (half sheet) for each chapter. Styles include True/False, Multiple Choice, Cloze (with word bank), and Sequence.
- a Record Sheet for answers for the above if you choose to run off class sets of the quizzes instead of students answering on the page directly.
- a three page Dialog Journal for the Atticus pages.
- ANSWERS INCLUDED for all the above.
- Word Study pages - three - each with a spelling ladder.
And several activities including a fun poem.
Each of the above lesson segments complements the other segments. However, they are NOT dependent upon each other and any part may be excluded without hampering success with the other, making for a perfect differentiation situation.
Please see Preview for samples of some of the quizzes.
Check out my other Paulsen novel units:
CALL ME FRANCIS TUCKET