For Karen Cushman's novel Rodzina, which takes the reader through the experiences of some children on an orphan train going from Chicago west, here is a study unit. I made it for reading clubs(groups) who would be functioning a lot on their own but it certainly could be used for a read aloud or all class work. Included are -
- Cover Page for Information about the book and the protagonist.
- Reading Review Questions for each chapter - two to four questions per chapter, some of them multiple part.
- Quizzes - two one page quizzes; the third is two pages. Quizzes include True/False, Name the Person Who Said, Multiple Choice (from a selection of three), and Matching.
- Vocabulary worksheet with spelling ladders and synonym/antonym questions.
For the Review Questions, Quizzes and Vocabulary above, I broke up the novel into three parts:
Part 1 - Ch. 1 to 4; Part 2 - Ch. 5 to 8; Part 3 - Ch 9 to 13
Additionally, there is
- a Character Log for tracing what happens for each of the adopted orphans.
- a page for students to use summarizing two events in the story.
- a word search and map of the route.
- four writing prompts on their own writing page - two to a page.
- an essential question, on its own stationery.
- teacher notes about the above items.
Please see the Preview for some sample pages.
I have two other novel studies for Karen Cushman books - Midwife's Apprentice and Matilda Bone. Click below.