Race and Racism in Canada
So you want to teach about Race and Racism in Canada?
This unit will aid in student exploration of the social construction of race in Canada, how racism can flourish within our institutions, and more generally, what it means to engage with social justice issues.
Further, this unit aims to employ anti-racist education strategies to go beyond celebrating diversity to challenge students to consider the unequal power dynamics present within Canadian institutions.
Available on Google Slides and Google Docs!
- Ready-to-use Google Slides for the entire unit (57 slides included)
- 5 Lesson plans that correspond to the Google Slides
- A Foundation for the Social Justice Educator document to help you get started!
- Additional background information located in the speaker notes section of Google Slides
- Discussion and writing prompts
Main Topics Covered:
- Pre-Work for Teachers
- Engaging in Critical Social Justice
- Social Formation of Race in Cannada
- Unpacking Privilege
- Racism in Contemporary Canada
Subtopics include: critical social justice theory, the power of socialization, construction of knowledge, history of oppression in Canada, Residential Schools apology, multiculturalism, White privilege, stereotypes, social stratification, tangible steps towards allyship, and much more!
Connect with me!
The purchaser is granted permission to make duplicates for classroom use only. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited unless it is a password-protected student website.