Race to Zero Game
Please See the Preview
This is a set of differentiated recording sheets for the popular subtraction dice game, with place value reminders on the page. The three versions include 1 digit subtraction, 2 digit subtraction and 3 digit subtraction.
To use these pages -
1. Copy all the levels front to back and cut them down the middle (4 ¼ x 11 size)
2. Use normal dice, or the optional provided dice to print.
I recommend the ten sided dice available from Kim Sutton’s Creative Mathematics http://www.creativemathematics.com/learn/index.php/product/place-value-dice-ones-tens-and-hundreds
3. Students roll the appropriate dice (ones place for 100 game; tens and ones for 1,000 game; hundreds, tens and ones for 10,000 game)
4. Record the number in the ‘We rolled” section
5. Subtract and place the difference in the “now we have” section.
1. All three levels can be happening in class at the same time.
2. Use a hundred chart and two place holders (beginning number and subtracted result) – or laminate hundred charts and use Vis-a-Vis markers.
3. Check answers with a calculator.
4. Use a white board to double check answers with inverse operation.
5. For accountability - Use two colors of pencils for pairs working together.
Edit: 2015 I added a second page for 2-sided copying
Edit: 4/1/16 I made the second page easier to follow for a long game with an extra hint and removed the numbers on the back.
Challenging and engaging!
The Student Created Word Problems always create a roar of approval in my classroom as pairs work together to create their own word problems within the parameters of the sentence frames based on Cognitive Guided Instruction.
STUDENT CREATED Multiplication and Division Sentence Frame Bundle
STUDENT CREATED Addition and Subtraction Sentence Frame Bundle
Thank you for visiting Creative Core Integrations by Kim Shelley. Follow me for 50% off Bundles for the first 48 hours.